KITE administrative building is located on Cherni Vrah Blvd. in Sofia, between two of the most important transport and communication arteries of the city - the ring road and T. Kableshkov str. near a metro station and large commercial sites.
The design of the building is dynamic and memorable. The choice of this type of wayward architecture is determined by the environment - a rapidly developing area, with a future as an administrative, commercial and communication center. Several components contribute to the dynamics - the main facade, the aggressive southern eaves and awnings, as well as the pylon above the roof with a length of 9 m, which as a mast is connected to the upper end of the facade and increases the height of the building to 36 m.
The lobby, a welcoming space for the visitors, unites three floors and is accentuated by a synthesis of architecture and art, expressed through panels with natural and eco motifs in the north and south, occupying its entire height. The southern element is a surreal photographic composition of marine and theatrical subjects with references to the name of the building, and the northern one is made of natural vegetation, absorbing dust and purifying the air.
During the realization of the building some measures for achieving high energy efficiency have been applied, namely:
- The eastern façade which faces Cherni Vrah Blvd., is a double skin type, with a distance of 60 cm between the two glazings. The inner layer has double glazing and the outer layer has single glazing, triangular, with diagonal stripes. of dark blue and clear glass. The difference in the tonality of the glass creates a different temperature of the individual sections, which helps the natural ventilation between the two layers and within the building when opening the windows from the inner layer. This type of "double" facade also serves to reduce noise pollution from the boulevard.
- The glazed facades from north, south and west are made of triple glazing in blue color, on a system for suspended facades Reynaers CW 50 Redisign with interrupted thermal bridge, which reduces the heat transfer coefficient to 0.5.
- The roof eaves in the southern direction are from 3.50 m to 2.50 m long, which reduces the heating of the facade from the south and west.
- Sun protection elements on the floors from the south, protruding in front of the facade 1.50 m, are also incorporated within the architectural appearance.
- The first three floors have a ventilated facade, with thermal insulation of 15 cm mineral wool and a finishing layer - limestone slabs, further reducing the heating of the building. To achieve airtightness, the wool on the facade is additionally plastered and covered with a membrane, and the joints around the windows are covered with waterproofing tape.
- The roof of the building is gradually falling in a westerly direction to reduce the adverse effects of westerly wind, rain and sun. It is covered with Ruukki sheet metal, on diagonal stripes, continuing the architectural idea of the building. The thermal insulation is 20 cm of mineral wool.
- The three-storey representative space of the entrance lobby has a big role in the energy efficiency of the building. The first three floors, containing more than half of the above-ground area of the building, are ventilated through it.
- Heating and air conditioning are solved with energy-efficient, modern VRF-systems DAIKIN independent for each floor. The floors can be separated horizontally into two independent zones with independent heating and ventilation systems.
- The building is equipped with an air tightness system and certified according to the standard BDS EN 13829.
KITE is an impressive and memorable building with its original vision, creating a sense of modern and dynamic development of the city. Behind the facade, it creates comfort and style for its occupants. Aesthetic and functional solutions in the exterior and interior are enhanced by the quality materials used and the measures applied to achieve high energy efficiency of the building.